On 29 March 2010 15:15, Matt Amos <zerebub...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/16271
>
> yeah, it was originally =, but changed to - to work with twitter.
> given that the characters A-Z, a-z, 0-9, _, @, - and = have already
> been used, what's the next best character? ~? +?

Well I suggested that you remove problematic symbols, and just use A-Z, a-z,
0-9 if need be.

Hmm, sorry Matt I see you only sent to Dev so might have missed the
discussion on Talk-GB.
It was said (if we have powers over Google, Microsoft, and other big e-mail
applications) we tell them to change...
It's also allowed behaviour. '-' is a valid URI character, so any user
agent that chops them off the end of a URI is broken. I realise that
doesn't help the people using them, but it would be better to fix the
problem in the correct place.

Robert Scott referenced RFC4648 base32 and said we could change it to =
perhaps (changing it back and breaking twitter again!).

Steve Doerr wondered if replacing it with %2D would solve it. I'm not sure
at what point it would be best to do this (in the link or manually).

It sounds like there will always be problems so I'm probably going to step
out of the discussion.

--
Gregory
o...@livingwithdragons.com