I'm not sure if this is how Gitorious works in the backend, but I have had good
luck with Gitosis [1], which was built to mimic the way GitHub works. You
always connect as g...@git.server... and the Gitosis config file takes care of
ensuring you (using your SSH key) have access to that project. There's a nice
tutorial [2] that I've used a number of times.

[1]: http://eagain.net/gitweb/?p=gitosis.git
[2]:
http://scie.nti.st/2007/11/14/hosting-git-repositories-the-easy-and-secure-way

— Seth