On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Stefan de Konink <ste...@konink.de> wrote:

> Op 12-07-10 07:25, Alan Mintz schreef:
> > 1. It's not ignored if users have to stumble over duplicate data when
> > editing and either reconcile (which should have been done by the
> > importing person) or ignore it.
>
> Editor, software, issue. A good editor selectively filters out
> information, so that the user doesn't get an information overload (or
> worse: breaks other data)

 Unfortunately, the API itself doesn't do any filtering if you do a bbox
request. You still download the excess data even if the editor is smart. And
don't say that we can upgrade the API since that is quite disruptive and
imports are happening right now.

 > 2. If the import uses existing tags (as did my example), it _does_ get
> > rendered.
>
> It is pretty trivial not to render anything from a specific user. That
> we currently don't do such thing doesn't mean we can't.

Not trivial if the data has been touched by other users and is impossible if
the data has been replaced by a completely new OSM feature with the same
tags. For example, splitting a way will result into at least one completely
new way which is not from the specific user with respect to the data. In
addition, the importer might be using his "normal" user account without a
guarantee that we can distinguish his import edits and his normal edits.