Hi,

I have created a tiling scheme which is based on division in two parts of a parent cell, alternating in the x and y directions. It can be used to chop up a rectangular area, so that each resulting tile contains less data than a certain threshold. I've devised it as a possible answer to the problem that some of Computerteddy's IMG files, particular in the Netherlands, can't be generated due to their size.

This binary scheme is in contrast to the quad tiling scheme which is often used (like in Google Maps, or the CanVec import tiles), where each division ends up in four cells. However, when a quad scheme is used, you'll end up with more redundant tiles, of which the combination does not exceed the threshold either.

Another benefit of this binary division is that each subtile can be identified by a unique integer value. This can be very convenient. It also means that the location of the subtile within the base tile, as well as its size, are implicitly stored. This scheme is also not limited by scale.

When a parent tile has number n, its children will have the numbers 2*n and 2*n+1. If you're familiar with genealogy, this is the same as the Ahnentafel numbering (Sosa-Stradonitz). However, where as in genealogy a child has two parents, this is completely the opposite here. (A parent tile can be divided into two child tiles.)

More information can be found on the OSM wiki: [1]. If you think it is useful, please let me know.

Regards,

Frank

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Binary_tiling_scheme