I was making a tool for myself and was downloading data from the API and saw that the data was binary data. On closer inspection it was gzipped.

The general information in http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6 talks about that the payload may be compressed, but I'm not sure what is meant by payload. Is this the request going to the api or is this what the api returns? It also states that this should only happen when the client indicates this through the HTTP "Accept" header. But the client I'm using, Lynx, does not do so. At least: I've never received compressed data from any source before.

regards,
Maarten