On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Anthony wrote:

Not in an embedded system, which is where a small difference like 10%
is going to matter.

Please elaborate? Either the memory is used for a block cache or for the program.

I'm interested now in seeing how the full history compression goes,
though.  If it can achieve 70, 80, 90% on top of zlib, then it might
be worth embedding the compression as opposed to just using it for
transfer over the Internet.

The dictionary is compressed per block, so it greatly depends if the trick
works.

32 megs is a lot better than 900K, though.  900K is how much zlib uses, right?

I don't get your point here, what do you mean? Do you mean that the memory requirements for zlib is lower? Because don't forget that the extracted piece is kept in memory + the deserialised version. Which is basically much bigger right?

Stefan