On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 01:01:14 +0100, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
Congratulations Iván.

That's really a monster, it weights 544 kg ;-)

If you go for power to weight ratio, than this machine doesn't perform too well ;)

But joking aside, also in real terms it is not a superfast machine. A single Ultrasparc III at 1.2GHz will be outperformed by any desktop machine available now. Probably by a factor 5 to 10. So even having it fully loaded with 24 processors will not make it really fast.

But apart from that, it's a really cool machine. Sure beats the SparcServer 2000 I've got in my attic.
If you need hands to hack, I'm available.

My advice would be to start with Solaris. I'm assuming all dependencies are also available there, or can be compiled. I've never been a fan of other OS'es than SunOS on a Sun.

And do take photo's of the beast, and post some specs!

Regards,
Maarten