Hi all,
I already replied Pierre-Alain on the french list, but it maybe useful for others too. For an extract of cross-country trails at [1], I use a world planet file updated by osmosis as a file with daily diffs whenever I feel like too. Find the script attached. Then Osmfilter [2] do the filtering, as in my case Osmosis is not able to filter relations recursively enough.
Planet update is ~4 hours, filtering ~2hours on a 4Go ram machine.
By the way, same result on a 7200rpm disk or SSD disk. I guess ram and compression are the bottlenecks.

Yves
[1] www.pistes-nordiques.org
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmfilter