Hi,

On 05/03/2011 03:28 PM, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
I am pretty lazy nowadays with updates and when I update once per month or
so I am running full import of finland.osm.bz2 into another database and
when it is finalized I am changing the database connection strings of my
clients.

I'm sure you know that already but just in case - there's a tool called "pgbouncer" which lets you create a "virtual" database to which your clients connect, and redirects queries to whatever you put in the bouncer config. Lets you switch databases in the backend without interrupting existing connections or making changes to clients.

I have been thinking that when I have the old and new imported database
versions available, perhapsa I could somehow generate diff files for
helping other people to keep their databases up-to-date. I would imagine
that the system should compare osm_point, osm_line and osm_polygon tables
and create a reasonable set of inserts, updates and deletes.

Does this sound reasonable at all or would it still be faster to
syncronise with the regular OSM diff files?

Having regional diffs would make things easier for many people I guess.

Bye
Frederik