Thanks both. I will see if I can get it to work with my admittedly limited
Linux administrator skills. If and when I do, I will document it on the
wiki, because as far as I know, 10.04 is still the LTS version and probably
in active use for that reason - at least that's why I'm still on 10.04 on my
server.

Martijn

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Jochen Topf <joc...@remote.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 08:12:05PM -0600, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> > I'm compiling osmium on Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS. The first problem occurs when
> > try to compile the OSM PBF library. It does not work via the debuild
> route,
> > which gives me:
> >
> > fileformat.pb.h:16:2: error: #error This file was generated by an older
> > version of protoc which is
> > fileformat.pb.h:17:2: error: #error incompatible with your Protocol
> Buffer
> > headers. Please
> > fileformat.pb.h:18:2: error: #error regenerate this file with a newer
> > version of protoc.
>
> Ubuntu versions before 10.10 come with a version of the Google Protobuf
> stuff
> thats too old. You have to either upgrade your Ubuntu, backport a newer
> protobuf package or compile and install it from sources yourself.
>
> > I can make / make install and that seems to go OK.
> >
> > On to Osmium where I run into trouble trying to compile osmjs:
> >
> > ../include/osmium/osm/tag_list.hpp: In member function
> > âv8::Handle<v8::Array> Osmium::OSM::TagList::js_enumerate_tag_keys()
> constâ:
> > ../include/osmium/osm/tag_list.hpp:138: error: no matching function for
> call
> > to âv8::Array::Set(int, v8::Local<v8::String>)â
> > /usr/include/v8.h:1145: note: candidates are: bool
> > v8::Object::Set(v8::Handle<v8::Value>, v8::Handle<v8::Value>,
> > v8::PropertyAttribute)
> >
> > and many similar messages. Do I have an incompatible version of the V8
> > library or what is the matter here?
>
> Again, Ubuntu before 10.10 comes with a v8 lib thats too old.
>
> Maybe Frederik can help a bit more. He builds the osmium/osmjs on Geofabrik
> machines using 10.04 for me. :-)
>
> Jochen
> --
> Jochen Topf  joc...@remote.org  http://www.remote.org/jochen/