Hi,
Thanks for the replies - You are right that bulk upload will work, I just
have an aspiration to getting it to work closer to real time so want to
explore other possibilities.

At the moment I have not tried to get mod_tile working, but am using
tilecache on my home server to generate the tiles (because it is very easy
- just a simple python program and minimal configuration - this will seed
down to zoom level 12 nice and quickly.
I then have another instance of tilecache running on the commercial web
host that caches tiles from my home server to give a quicker response
(provided the tiles have been accessed previously).   I will do a little
wiki page write up on how it is configured, because it took a bit of doing
to get the projections working so that they talk to each other properly....

It seems to be working, but needs a bit more testing because sometimes it
seems to take a very long time to produce a tile - this may be my home
server putting its disks to sleep to save power, but I haven't checked.
Disk sleeping is not a feature I would want to turn off though, because
using my old laptop as a server is working quite nicely power-wise - I
think it takes less than 20W normally, which is not too bad.

Graham.

On 27 October 2011 13:03, Nick Whitelegg <nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk>wrote:

> Hello Graham,
>
> I am currently doing this, and using option one. This is probably feasible
> if the area you're trying to render is relatively small: I render
> Hampshire, Wiltshire, Surrey and West Sussex down to zoom level 14. The
> rendering takes an hour or two, the upload (just over 100MB) takes a little
> over 30 minutes. It's fairly feasible to do on a weekly basis.
>
> Can't speak for the other two options - I don't run an always-on home
> server so that one's a non-starter for me. I'd guess for occasional tile
> rendering it would be ok.
>
> Nick

Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.