Hi,

On 11/05/2011 06:58 PM, mar...@gmx.eu wrote:
Meanwhile I found out that this node simply did not appear in the daily diffs:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1470178889

It was crated at 2011-10-16T23:58Z by a large changeset along with 23.000 other
nodes.
Neither the 16/17 nor the 17/18 daily diff contain this node whereas the hourly
diff from October 17 01:00 does.

There are two types of diffs; "replication diffs" and normal diffs. A replication diff contains everything that happened between two timestamps, including multiple changes of the same object, whereas a normal diff only contains the information required to get from state 1 to state 2.

Also, replication diffs are created in a relatively fail-safe process with Osmosis whereas the normal diffs can miss changes in some cases when a long-running database transaction that was created before 0:00 extends past the time when the diff is created. (There was a time when we had only "normal" diffs, and it was near impossible to make sure the minutely/hourly ones did not miss anything.)

For minutely and hourly diffs, we only offer replication diffs these days. For daily diffs, we have the normal ones under planet.openstreetmap.org/daily, as well as the replication diffs under planet.openstreetmap.org/history.

The normal diff indeed lacks the node in question, but the daily replication diff under history/2011/1016-1017.osc.gz has it.

So, if you want to use daily diffs but avoid the danger of missing edits, use the replication diff.

Frankly I don't know why the normal daily diffs are still created at all; if one really wanted to offer a reduced-traffic version of the replication diffs then it would indeed make sense to simply deflate the replication diff using Osmosis' --simplify-change task.

Bye
Frederik