I am not very familiar with the internal workings of Nominatim but I
do know that it takes some very serious hardware to build a database
from the ground up using an OSM planet file. I believe this is why the
pre-indexed feature came to be. It allows you to maintain a nominatim
database without overly expensive equipment. As far as I know,
MapQuest Open is currently the only source of pre-indexed data. Have
you read their pages about it?

http://developer.mapquest.com/web/products/open/nominatim/indexed

>From that page, there is a link to the developer guide which has
additional details. Although looking through there it seems like their
service may be broken. The last full dump is from March and the last
diff is from October...

Toby