Hi

I generated a new charge of history extracts, based on the 120213 full history dump. They have been created from the latest full-experimental-dump [1] using my history splitter [2], based on Jochen Topfs really great osmium framework [3]. They contain multiple versions of an object. If you just want the map-data as it is today, use the Geofabrik-Extracts [4].

The extracts can be downloaded from a server of my employer:
<http://osm.personalwerk.de/history-extracts/>

Their size ranges from very small (a village) via medium (Berlin) to large (Germany), touching various countries. They only cover a very, very small part of the world and are currently targeted at application developers that are looking for data to test their history analysis apps. Most extracts are delivered as .osh.pbf files, readable with all history-enabled pbf parsers (eg. osmium).

Some extracts are also available in the .osh.bz2 format (xml-basesd). Some common programs like JOSM can open them them when you rename them to .osm, but the produced output is not very useful in most cases.

In contrast to the last set of extracts, the new ones are now cuttet using the softcut algorithm [6] using simple bounding-boxes [5].

Dumps created using that algorithm have the following characteristics:
 - ways are complete (as they are in the api-database)
 - ways are reference-complete (all referenced points are included)

 - relations are complete (as they are in the api-database)
 - relations are NOT reference-complete (relations may reference ways
   or nodes that are not in the extract)

 - relations referring to relations that come later in the file are
   included

 - all versions of an object of which one version touched the bbox are
   included

Those files can eg. be used to create nice animations of your home-town like this:
<http://mazdermind.github.com/osm-history-renderer/karlsruhe.html>

Take a look at the Tutorial to see how it goes:
<https://github.com/MaZderMind/osm-history-renderer/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md>

As always, I first created a .pbf version of the full-planet file, which can be downloaded, too:

<http://osm.personalwerk.de/full-experimental-pbf/full-planet-120213-1231.osh.pbf>

Peter

[1] <http://planet.osm.org/full-experimental/full-planet-120213-1231.osm.bz2>
[2] <https://github.com/MaZderMind/osm-history-splitter>