To: OSM-Dev Openstreetmap <dev@openstreetmap.org>
From: Graham Jones <grahamjones...@gmail.com>
Date: 11/04/2012 07:26AM
Subject: [OSM-dev] (reverse) GeoCoding on Android

Hi All,
I am trying to put together a little android application that works out where
it is, and sends the info on a text message to someone (it is for someone who
can not talk well).
The location finding and SMS bits are working now, but the location is lat/lon,
which is not very friendly for the recipient - I would like an address.

I could use an internet service for this, but I would really like it to work
without an internet connection, so am thinking of including an OSM data extract
on the phone sd card and trying to use that first, before falling back to an
internet service.

I wondered if anyone knows of any ready made code to process and search OSM
data on Android/java before I write something?   I guess Vespuccii must have
all the parsing stuff in it, but I will be needing to handle more data that you
would have in an editor - can anyone give me any pointers to the best way to do
this on a low powered mobile device?

Thanks

Graham.

--