From: John Perrin [mailto:john.d.per...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:34 PM
To: dev@openstreetmap.org
Subject: [OSM-dev] Yevaud SSD Drive

Hi,

I've posted this question on the OSM Q & A site a well, not sure what the
best forum for the question is, so please forgive the dual post if you also
follow that site.

Basically, I was just inquiring into the specific need for the SSD drive on
the yevaud tile server.  I'm looking to run an OSM tile server that can
handle roughly 200,000 - 400,000 map views a day and have taken this as a
good benchmark for the server spec.  However the SSD is half the cost of
reproducing a server with that spec.  I was just wondering exactly what the
disk was used for, and why is specifically needed the SSD drive. I can see
the purchase logged in the server upgrade history, but I can't see any
reason explaining why it was needed.

Thanks

John