Hello everyone,

I have just changed the default compile of osm2pgsql to use 64bit IDs instead of 32bit IDs.

The current highest node ID is 1.9 billion. As signed 32 bit ints can only hold ~2.1 billion IDs, it is likely that the (signed) 32bit ID space will run out in a couple of months.

As the switching from 32bit to 64bit IDs with osm2pgsql requires a fresh import as the database schemas are not compatible with each other, the current time seems like the most reasonable time to do this, as due to the license change it is recommended to perform a re-import anyway.

It is still possible to compile osm2pgsql with 32bit IDs by passing the argument --disable-64bit-ids to ./configure.

According to Frederik's benchmarks[1], 64bit mode is slightly slower and uses up more disk space, but hopefully that doesn't cause to much trouble and it will soon be necessary anyway.

I also bumped the version number to 0.81.0

Kai

[1] http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/ramm-osm2pgsql-sotm-2012.pdf