On 12.10.2012 18:38, Peter Wendorff wrote:
Am 12.10.2012 18:12, schrieb Stephan Knauss:
Peter Wendorff writes:
osm2pgsql has to store nodes outside the bbox because geometries that
overlap the borders etc. should be included in the result, too.
how certain are you regarding this?
It's only based on my observations and short comments on questions
regarding that in the IRC channels.
My germany extract import took incredibly long and the number of nodes
in the slim nodes table is around in line with the data stats for
Germany as a whole, while I only imported one city (by bounding box
filtering).

I can say it's a bug with pbf processing. I was able to reproduce the problem and created a ticket.

https://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/4625

I suggest you have a look at the filtering capabilities of osmconvert. It was able to extract my desired bbox out of the 2GB asia extract within 5 minutes.

The resulting database is now 40 times smaller and in a range I was used to before my software upgrade.

Stephan