2012/10/17 Igor Brejc <igor.br...@gmail.com>:
Another thing that's odd is the duality of inner rings: they represent
holes, but they can also represent holes AND separate polygons at the same
time. Decision on which is which has to be made based on a vague notion of
"difference" in tagging.

This is something I don't find odd. An inner ring is always a "hole"
in the multipolygon, but it is clear that what is inside this ring is
not "nothing" but something, and this something will often also be
tagged. But it is tagged on the ring itself (or on a different
multipolygon where it is an outer way), so I don't see where the
"decision" comes into play. Or are there implementations where the
tags of inner ways get also inherited to the multipolygon-area?

Igor probably refers to the situation where you have a multipolygon with an outer and inner ring, and both rings are tagged landuse=forest. In that particular tagging, which is supported by most applications as a form of backwards compatibility, the hole is *not* a forest ;)

Bye
Frederik