If you're going to be communicating with the OSM API server directly from
PHP I'd recommend Services_OpenStreetMap (
https://pear.php.net/package/Services_OpenStreetMap ). It's fully unit
tested and allows for mock requests so you can test your app without
hitting the OSM server until you're sure that you have everything in place.
;)

Ken

Disclaimer: I'm the guy that developed it.

http://blogs.linux.ie/kenguest/