Hey Martin,

without giving us an example of your exact problem we can just say: "for
us this would work"...

IMO your step by step approach is not sufficient to work properly.
You'll need a the driver's final destination and full path.
Why? Assume a route A-B-C (where B would have a traffic light) but the
fastest
or best route would be A-D-E-C (where D has no traffic light). A-B and
A-D have the same direction.
Now you app would tune the speed (or acceleration) after A regarding B
and not E if it does not know the full path.

A-D--B

  |  |

  E--C

Also here in my city (Germany) several junctions have a separate lane
for turning right.
And this lane has no traffic light, but the junction has one!
So without knowing the final destination your application would assume
there is a traffic light in this direction ...
And IMO hitting a server for every turn or road is a waste of resources
(battery, bandwith costs etc)

Regards,
Peter.

--
GraphHopper.com Your way is our destination!