Chris,

It would be helpful to explain what you've tried already. Mapnik supports proj4
and proj4 understands quite a few projections. I'm no expert in equirectangular
projections but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equirectangular_projection states
that this is basically a term for the well know set of lon/lat based geographic
coordinate systems.

So, can you try simply changing your Mapnik Map `srs` value to EPSG:4326 or a
specific Equidistant cylindrical projection like
http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/3786/

The specific Mapnik Map XML syntax can be found by following the link for
"Mapnik XML" like:

http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/3786/mapnik/

Dane