2014/1/8 Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com>

> First, set motorway aside.  We know what the motorway rules are, and all
> motorways are important (to first order).

+1

> Then, in a non-motorway
> world, you can ask "what is the shortest typical distance for which many
> routes will use this road".  Essentially, I'd argue that (if one decides
> to not use motorways), primary highways are likely to be the roads
> chosen for distances of 200km or more.   Secondary for perhaps 50 km,
> and many of the roads that feel like they should be tertiary are used to
> get to the next town, or next next town, but not 10 towns (except as
> local feeders, not a through route).  So that's more like 20 km.

no, if there is a primary road this doesn't mean that you cannot or won't
take it for shorter distances, usually you would take it (and often there
won't be alternatives anyway, especially in less developed countries) for
any distance as long as it goes where you want to go. The point of a
primary road is, that it allows you to go more far away if you need to,
while a tertiary road won't be hundreds of km long.

>   My sense is that a
> road is properly tertiary if it takes you from one place of 5000 people
> to another place of 5000 people.

ok, but this depends a lot of the population density in the area. A place
of 5000 people in Greenland would be the second biggest place of the
country. There are even some towns in Italy or Germany that have below 5000
inhabitants and everything above 100.000 is quite big there, but a town
with 300.000 inhabitants in China won't be big at all.

cheers,
Martin