We had a similar discussion on the Github issues some days ago:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/657#issuecomment-78665177

I was not able to really determine the origin of this difference, but the main suspicion is a difference in the used Mapnik. Of course, it can also be a bug on Kosmtik ;)

I've create an issue on the Kosmtik side to track any more info one of you may have:

https://github.com/kosmtik/kosmtik/issues/57

I was in a field mission in Jordan, so I was not really active on this issue, and I'm sorry for that. I'm back from today, I'm expecting a speed week now, but then I'll have a bit more time to dig in if still needed.

Also, side note, to compare renderings, I suggest this kosmtik plugin:

https://github.com/kosmtik/kosmtik-map-compare

Cheers,

Yohan