On Monday 13 July 2015, Daniel Koć wrote:

> I'd like to know how to extract from planet.osm only the features
> visible on 1-6 or even 1-7 levels in osm-carto (default OSM style).
> Mateusz Konieczny has already tried to do something like this, but
> hit the wall at the moment:
>
> http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=514998#p514998
>
> If anyone can help us with it in any way, we would appreciate it a
> lot. It would be very useful for massive testing of proposed highway
> rendering changes and general low scale rendering problems.

With the default style for z=1-5 this should be fairly easy, for z=6 and
above the volume of data required will increase massively since you
need all water areas.

Filtering for the following will probably get you all you need for z=1-5
and will not get you too much you do not need:

admin_level=*
highway=motorway, highway=trunk
place=city, capital=*

--