On 12/11/15 13:58, Ilya Zverev wrote:

We at maps.me (well, me alone for now) are looking into simplifying OSM sign up
process on mobile devices. As you know, the current process, which involves
opening a browser, then opening a mail app, then opening a browser again, then
returning to an app and entering credentials once again, is quite disruptive.
But since we already support linking accounts to social login services (like
Facebook and MS Live), there are few things that could simplify registering
users on mobile. I wrote some thoughts on hackpad:

https://hackpad.com/Facebook-Registation-for-OSM.org-4MI6M5EeeRh

Well there are many, many things wrong about that document.

Firstly for social signup it is better to click the button on the login page, not start from the signup page. Yes that isn't good design and we really need to merge the two.

Secondly, we already prefill the email if the service provides it, so no need to enter it once, let alone twice. In fact in some cases we even trust the email without verifying it.

There's also no requirement to enter a password if you use social signup and I believe the page makes that clear.

Basically if you click a social login button on the login page then your "alternate flow" is pretty much what already happens.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/