On 21.03.2016 10:26, Frederik Ramm wrote:
Hi,

On 03/21/2016 09:22 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:
The horribly backward Java certificate root authority list is the main
obstacle to most of our attempts to improve https support in fact.

Perhaps we could just ignore that? I'm a JOSM user myself but I don't
think that the rest of the world should suffer just because Java is
unhappy with our SSL.

Support for custom certificates has been added to JOSM in version 9995. So far, Let's encrypt and StartSSL is included.

(see https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/12264)

I'm sure that JOSM users who desperately need SSL can find a workaround
(could one not e.g. have JOSM connect insecurely to localhost and then
reverse-proxy https://openstreetmap.org/ from there?)

Default Server URL is https://api.openstreetmap.org/api. I.e. it would break for every (pre 9995) user.

Best, Paul