There are some OpenStreetMap Carto issues which might be interesting to a larger audience

Improving the water colour: https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1781

There's been a discussion of options for improving the water colour to improve contrast with a number of other features.

Change access rendering: https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/2257

This needs more people to try the PR in their local area. Access representations is a *hard* problem to solve and we're not going to get it perfect or satisfy everyone, but hopefully we can do something a lot better

Plan database re-import (aka hstore and lua): https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1504

This is one of the big long-term planning issues for the database reload, changing the schema, and enabling osm2pgsql --hstore. It needs more people testing. You can see additional issues: https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Alua

Review onboarding: https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/2291

If you're reading this on the lists and aren't following the issues already, the onboarding experience is relevant to you if you want to get involved. It's hard for the maintainers to evaluate; we've all been working at map styles for some time.

Comments are best posted on the GitHub issues, otherwise they'll probably get lost when reviewing the discussion.