Hi Mariusz,

(cross-posting to talk removed, as this is essentially a dev mail)

I'm glad to hear that you are concerned about Nominatim development.
That makes two of us. As a software developer, the most effective
way to change things is to start contributing code. So here are a few
pointers for that.

The outstanding pull requests you mention are a very good place to start.
There are quite a few which have not been merged because there are
outstanding comments from me which the original authors never addressed.
In particular, I'd like to point to:

https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/pull/552
https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/pull/439
https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/pull/429

They are pretty far along. They would need to be updated to the current
master version and have the remaining issues fixed.

If that's not to your liking you can also look through the issues.
Anything marked 'enhancement' is particularly suited for external
contributions. I haven't marked the difficulty level but here are
a few examples, I'd consider good starting points for first time
code contributors:

https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/issues/562
https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/issues/135
https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/issues/171
https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/issues/255
https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/issues/344
https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/issues/311

The comments on the issues can be sparse at times, so feel free to ask
for clarifications. As a general rule, it is also a good idea to quickly
outline your implementation idea first, in particular where the solution
is not obvious or where larger changes are required. That helps avoid
disappointment during PR review.

If you have general questions about the source code, the geocoding@
mailing list is the right place to ask.

Sarah