Hello, My name is  Biswesh. I am a second year Computer Science student and am
very keen on contributing to OSM for GSOC 2018. I have been looking into the
idea list for GSOC 2018 and found out the project - “ Make the website use the
API “ proposed by Paul Norman<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Pnorman>
to be very interesting as the concept can be very useful for OSM and also
because it seems to be a bit challenging. I have some prior knowledge of
Javascript, Ruby on Rails and also have some basic knowledge of REST api.

Although I don’t have much knowledge about implementing the idea, I searched a
bit about it and found out some useful articles which showed some advantages of
changing the website to rely on API calls instead of directly accessing the
database. I have given the links here:

http://solnic.eu/2011/08/01/making-activerecord-models-thin.html

http://jamesgolick.com/2010/3/14/crazy-heretical-and-awesome-the-way-i-write-rails-apps.html

I have also searched a bit about implementing the project and found out that
the following can be useful:

Active rest client - https://github.com/whichdigital/active-rest-client

Active resource - https://github.com/rails/activeresource

I would like to be guided on this project idea so that I can prepare myself
better for it. Also if I could be provided some better sources through which I
can have a better understanding of the problem then I would be grateful.

On a side note - I would also like to ask if we can explore about migrating the
entire rest based workflow to some of the emerging technologies like graphQL.

My GitHub account:
https://github.com/biswesh456

Regards
Biswesh Mohapatra