Hi Rahul,

welcome to OSM GSoC and thank you for your interest in the Nominatim
projects. I'm glad to hear that you managed to get the development
environment set up. We generally recommend to use the Vagrant scripts
for a first try, which is still based on Ubuntu 16.04LTS but there
should not be any significant difference with Ubuntu 17.10.

With the development environment set up, I recommend that you next
import an extract from your local area and get used to the API. Then
you should take some time to get used to the code. Have a look at the
issues marked simple[1] and see if you can solve them.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here on the dev@ mailing

Kind regards

Sarah
(lonvia)