Hey Thomas, thank you for your interest in iD and Google Summer of Code!
I’m the iD maintainer and can help guide you.

Your plan for adding OSM Notes to iD is a good one.  One thing that’s great
about this is you can look at existing code used to show the Mapillary or
OpenStreetCam data as an example.

But to break it down:
1. Add code to services/osm.js to interact with the OSM API (get/update notes)
2. Add tests for that code
3. Add a layer under svg/ for displaying the notes  (this is where you need to
know D3)
4. Add an option the the Map Data panel for toggling the layer on/off
5. Once you get it to where you can see notes as markers, add interactivity
   - mouseover to view note as a hover text ?
   - click to select?
   - allow user to add comments to the note and close?

You might finish this in under the 10 week limit, and move on to showing other
things on the map (maybe QA issues from keep right? - it would work almost the
same way).

But to answer your primary question - yes what you proposed sounds very
reasonable!
I do encourage you to apply, and reach out to me if you have any other
questions…

Thanks, Bryan