Yes, it seems that style.xml has problems. I can see that on logs when
starting renderd. Maybe problem connecting to database.

"
An error occurred while loading the map layer 'default': Postgis Plugin:
FATAL:  role "www-data" does not exist#012Connection string: ' dbname=gis
connect_timeout=4'#012  encountered during parsing of layer
'landcover-low-zoom' in Layer at line 691 of
'/home/tileserver/src/openstreetmap-carto/style.xml'
"

I just don´t understand how does former tiles were rendering!?

I may have overwriten style files...