Hi,

I noticed that the standard OSM tile servers
(N.tile.openstreetmap.org) are currently slow.

On the site

  https://mc.bbbike.org/mc/

you will see that OSM is the slowest, and takes at least 5 seconds to
get all tiles. The other servers responses in less than a second.

Downloading a single tile is also always slow:

curl https://b.tile.openstreetmap.org/11/1100/671.png >/dev/null
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 41017  100 41017    0     0   7658      0  0:00:05  0:00:05 --:--:--  7146

it seems that there is a delay of 5 seconds until the tile is fully
delivered, and the download rate is at 7Kbyte/s. I tried this from
different locations (Bay Area, NYC, Germany) - the result is always
the same.

PS: if I do not use HTTPS and instead plain old HTTP, it will take
only 0.3 - 0.6 seconds.

Any idea whats wrong with the HTTPS setup for the tile servers?

-Wolfram

--
Wolfram Schneider <wo...@freebsd.org> https://wolfram.schneider.org
Planet.osm extracts: https://extract.bbbike.org