On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 07:52:24AM -0700, Gurucharan Shetty wrote:

> > I am also concerned that it this will break the Windows build.
> > Currently Windows uses some Windows-only code in m4/openvswitch.m4,
> > which requires Win32 builders to specify --with-pthread=<dir> on the
> > configure command line.  Ideally, we would want Windows builds to work
> > the same as other builds.  Maybe that would mean that Windows builders
> > should specify the PTHREAD_* variables on the configure command line,
> > instead of --with-pthread, or that the OVS pthread-win32 support should
> > move from OVS_CHECK_WIN32 to somewhere around the new invocation of
> > AX_PTHREAD.  Either way, I think that this will require some change to
> > what this patch does (and possibly an update to INSTALL.Windows.md)
> > before it can go in.  I'm CCing Guru, who knows the Windows build, to
> > get his opinion.
>
> commit 94887cf4caa74bfb5 added the support for pthreads check for Windows.
> As one can see in that commit, we have very specific Windows related
> includes, ldflags, libs that we need added. This is mainly because
> pthreads on Windows is downloadable and installed in any directory. I
> do not know what is a good portable solution here if we need to make
> Windows related changes again there.
>
> One concern that I have in changing '--with-pthread' for Windows means
> that the auto builds at different places will also need changing.
> Unless the benefits look good, I would like to avoid making that
> change.

I think that this is pretty close to working already, actually.  The
proposed AX_PTHREAD allows previously set shell variables PTHREAD_CFLAGS
and PTHREAD_LIBS to control how pthread compiling and linking should
work.  I think that OVS_CHECK_WIN32 could simply set these variables:
PTHREAD_CFLAGS to the -I option and PTHREAD_LIBS to the -L and -l
options.

We'd want to ensure that OVS_CHECK_WIN32 gets called before AX_PTHREAD.
I think we can add AC_BEFORE([$0], [AX_PTHREAD]) to OVS_CHECK_WIN32 to
ensure that.