Hi Alex,

To follow up James's post, I recommend this article by Markus Thömmes to
understand how OpenWhisk works:
https://medium.com/openwhisk/uncovering-the-magic-how-serverless-platforms-really-work-3cb127b05f71

<https://medium.com/openwhisk/uncovering-the-magic-how-serverless-platforms-really-work-3cb127b05f71>.

We call each language that OpenWhisk supports a "runtime". Each runtime is a
Docker container that runs an HTTP server that responds to two API endpoints:
/init and /run in order to its work and invoke an action. I wrote up some
minimal information on how to create a new runtime on the Wiki here:
https://www.slideshare.net/psuter/openwhisk-deep-dive-the-action-container-model

<https://www.slideshare.net/psuter/openwhisk-deep-dive-the-action-container-model>.
 When writing the PHP runtime, I found this presentation by Philippe Suter
helpful:
https://www.slideshare.net/psuter/openwhisk-deep-dive-the-action-container-model

<https://www.slideshare.net/psuter/openwhisk-deep-dive-the-action-container-model>

As James said, feel free to ask any questions here, or if you want more
real-time interaction, the Slack channel is good
(http://openwhisk.incubator.apache.org/slack.html
<http://openwhisk.incubator.apache.org/slack.html>).

Regards,

Rob...