Hi,

Pavel and I are working on lean OpenWhisk. The idea is to allow an
efficient use of OpenWhisk with small form factor compute nodes (e.g., IoT
gateways). The proposition is to get rid of Kafka, have controller and
invoker compiled together into a "lean" controller-invoker (have a Gradle
project for that) with controller calling the invoker's method directly
via an in-memory object (a queue, which is also loaded via SPI) via a new
pluggable load balancer that is selected via SPI using configuration file
property setting. Here is a blog
https://medium.com/@davidbr_9022/lean-openwhisk-open-source-faas-for-edge-computing-fb823c6bbb9b

providing some more detail and points to our fork.

An important thing is that we are _not_ proposing a new project. Rather we
want to submit a PR to allow for a lean distro of OpenWhisk that uses the
same OpenWhisk code base and consumes everything downstream by virtue of
exploiting SPI.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

-- david
David Breitgand, Ph. D.
Senior Researcher, IBM Research -- Haifa, Israel
Tel: +972-4-829-1007 | Mobile: +972 54 7277-881
"Ambition is the path to success, persistence is the vehicle you arrive
in", William Eardley IV