Hi all,

In order to make OpenWhisk a real member of Apache, we need to make a overhaul
for the package name existing in all openwhisk projects. This is a must-have to
relase
1.0.0 or above. This mail is a call-for-action, making every whisker on the
same page.

As I went through all the 12 modules, which have released under Apache for the
first time, there are only 2 modules, which need their package names changed:
OpenWhisk and openwhisk runtime java. Package really means a grouping mechanism
in terms of compiling and building for Scala and Java.

For example, the package "whisk.***" will be changed into
"org.apache.openwhisk.***".

All the Go modules do not need to change, since Go projects have their native
way to define the structure.
Runtime nodejs, docker, swift, php, and python do not need to change, since
they do not have the syntax for package, only directory.
Catalog does not need to change.
Apigateway does not need to change.

If you do not agree on my discovery, feel free to chime in with comments.

For companies with existing platforms built on top of openwhisk, this change of
package name will bring in incompatibility to the legacy. There are two ways
proposed here to cope with: 1. use the openwhisk 0.9.0 official release
available under apache as the code base; 2. change the package name in the
platform as well to cater for the package renaming.

For other openwhisk modules, which plan to launch releases under Apache.
Double-check whether you have package, which needs to change into
"org.apache.openwhisk***".
The effort of changing the package will start soon. Be prepared.

Thanks for your attention.

Best wishes.
Vincent Hou (侯胜博)

Advisory Software Engineer, OpenWhisk Contributor, Open Technology, IBM Cloud

Notes ID: Vincent S Hou/Raleigh/IBM, E-mail: s...@us.ibm.com,
Phone: +1(919)254-7182
Address: 4205 S Miami Blvd (Cornwallis Drive), Durham, NC 27703, United States