In general yes but I think generally do you need the transaction id or the
parent id for an activation?

This issue is relevant - https://github.com/apache/openwhisk/issues/3083.
I also recall in the early days of the composer, we wanted a way to query
parent/child activations but this requires new couch views and we didn't
pursue it.