as a longer term point to consider, i think the current model of "best
effort at most once" was the wrong design point - if we embraced failure
and just retried (at least once), then failure at this level would lead to
retries which is reasonable.

if we added a third health route or introduced a health check, would we
increase the critical path?

-r