Hi,

I agree with your analysis about Decimals.

Something similar has already gone into patch-available previously, but held
back

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ORC-209

This is somewhat stuck behind the Vector type system evolving support for this

+

That works only for Text formats in Hive right now, hope that bolsters your
case for implementing it in ORC.

Definite +1 on the DecimalStatistics impl, the String representation is the
slowest part of the Decimal writer loop in Java (i.e for every row, toString +
compare min/max).

Cheers,
Gopal