Github user jcamachor commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/orc/pull/249

    @omalley , I have been trying to add the Boolean ```useUTCTimestamp``` as
suggested. Making it work with the reader/writer does not seem to be a problem,
since I can pass the information through the context. However, we also create
column vectors in the ```TypeDescription``` class, where we do not seem to have
any context information, just the type string representation. It seems that
unless we pass the information through that representation, we cannot know the
value for the boolean when we create the column over there, and I do not think
we want to go in that direction. Any ideas?

    If we do not go in that direction, I thought that I can change current
patch to use a ```boolean``` instead of the ```TimeZone``` itself (but without
storing it).

    Please, let me know what you think.

---