Github user xndai commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/orc/pull/268

    The current solution is not perfect. But at least it gives us some ability
to read zstd Orc files, which I believe is important from the compatibility
perspective - our in-house system has zstd Orc that would like to be consumed
by Hive, Spark, etc. I am not sure when the zstd compressor will be available.
It's probably another 6 months or a year.

    If we enable zstd on C++ reader/writer first. Then we enable Java reader to
consume zstd Orc from C++ writer. Would you consider that as end-to-end test?

---