Hi Martin,

Thanks for the response.

The best documentation I've been able to find so far:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/azure/ee336275.aspx. "If a table is
created without a clustered constraint, a clustered index must be created
before an insert operation is allowed on the table."

It appears that SQL azure will create the tables, but will assume that
you'll perform additional design on them before inserting data, which is
why it doesn't throw on create.
It only throws the error when you attempt to store data in a table without
a clustered index of any kind.

>From a conceptual perspective I agree with you -- I would have never
thought to put a primary key on tables like those that I listed either;
they do not seem to require one.

My guess (which is all I have at this point as I research further) is that
Azure needs a clustered index because it is looking for us to tell it how
to best store the data, for efficiency reasons.

--
Sean