Following a discussion over the Traffic Server dev list [1], I would like
to discuss approaches to moving over ats_pagespeed into the PageSpeed
project (as mentioned in the initial incubator proposal). We should
probably mark this plugin as experimental, as it is today in ATS.

Moving the plugin into its own github repo would probably take the least
effort, but I think there are also some things speaking for merging
ats_pagespeed, ngx_pagespeed, and mod_pagespeed into a single repository:

- A central place for the community to engage
- Currently ngx_pagespeed has mod_pagespeed as a submodule testing
dependency, which means that we periodically need to update the dependency
to point to the head of master to stay current
- Centralized developer (wiki) documentation
- We can (more easily) trigger CI runs for the other modules in CI when
making updates to the core libraries.

If  we want to move forward with merging, I would propose s simple
directory structure like:

*/mod_pagespeed*
*/ngx_pagespeed*
*/ats_pagespeed*
*README.md*
*NOTICE*
*LICENCE*
*....*

One concern is that merging the repositories may put additional burden on
those just wanting to build ngx_pagespeed or ats_pagespeed, as these
repositories currently are relatively lightweight. One thing that may be
worth looking into is if we can leverage newer git client features to
mitigate this. (e.g. sparse checkouts?).

Any thoughts?

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/480a625a01897473196466c05abae075b1a623295eb5d7c349f618cc@%3Cdev.trafficserver.apache.org%3E

Otto