>   Is it possible to disable some or all optimizations for a certain user
> agent (crawler)? When it crawls the site, CPU usage for the nginx process is
> getting too high primarily because of the pagespeed module.

That would be for your general configuration.  Pagespeed is a module,
not a complete replacement for your server!

If a crawler is so ill-behaved as to flood your server, I'd simply ban it.
Have the server return an instant 400.  Rules for well-behaved robots
have been perfectly clear for more than twenty years.

@pagespeed - this isn't even a development issue, yet like everything else
it arrived through github.  Is there really anything happening at apache, as
opposed to being a purely github project?

--
Nick Kew