Hi,

Since a new parquet sync is coming up this week, I would like to revive
this topic for discussion.

In short, the point I tried to make was that supporting a specific
parquet-format version is currently a "moving target" as we keep adding
incompatible features without increasing the major version number. We don't
provide compatibility profiles either that would allow writing data that
can be read by implementations based on earlier versions.

In my opinion, this is very bad for language bindings and other
implementations (like Impala), because they can not claim parquet support
in any release:

   - They can not claim that they support reading data stored according to
   a specific *major* version of parquet-format (e.g., parquet-format 2),
   because we keep adding incompatible features to parquet-format.
   - If they claim that they support reading data stored according to a *very
   specific* version of parquet-format (e.g., parquet-format 2.3.2), it
   will not really help their users, because without compatibility profiles
   users will not be able to force other components to *write* data
   according to that very specific version.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Zoltan