the issue is because part1.pdf in PDFBOX-1533 references the same 2 pages 3
times within the document catalog (/Kids [3 0 R, 3 0 R, 3 0 R]). Could you
attach a sample pdf to PDFBOX-1533 to verify that your issue has the same cause
or verify it for yourself?

We are using PDFBox for merging documents ourselves successfully. Obviously
this file would need some special treatment.

BR
Maruan