Hi,

> Am 09.02.2018 um 23:06 schrieb Mark Tanner <mark.tan...@pagesuite.com>:
>
> hey all
>
> Java has quite strict enforcement of exception handling. I.e. if a method can
> throw an exception then the calling method must handle it, and you get plenty
> of compiler warnings telling you such.
>
> We can avoid NPE's by avoiding returning null from methods completely, and
> throwing an exception instead.

I'd think that throwing an exception if something required is missing is OK.
Throwing an exception for retrieving an optional value is not. And that's the
case we are talking about. And it's for the high level PD model within PDFbox -
the API most of our users are using and should anyway.

Now for an optional value which may or may not exist - like an drop down field
options - shall we return null or an empty array(collection?

BR
Maruan