OK - I've reviewed the docs and also look at some projects using automated
website building (there aren't many yet).

The best example I've found is that from Apache Struts as this not only builds
the website (including staging for PR based
changes) but also includes the JavaDocs when a new release was done.
Unfortunately this is setup in a way that the JavaDoc
source ends up in the master branch. Currently we have older version of the
JavaDoc available on our site too which imho would
clutter the master branch.

Please take a look at https://struts.apache.org/updating-website.html and let
me know what you think.

Which tasks of our current web site buidling would you like to see simplified?
Maybe we can start from there.

BR
Maruan